Hello guys. I want to drop a quick recommendation for my loyal site visitors. I will be showing you guys how to get the best app to manage your VPS and RDP. I have already published a guide on how to get and try out Linux or Windows VPS for free. Use the guide to get your own personal VPS. I would suggest you go for a Linux VPS. It offers many advantages. I wouldn’t be focusing on the advantages of Linux VPS over a windows VPS in this post. Perhaps I will make out time to publish a guide on how to choose which VPS OS to go for.
Most people new to Linux OS (even average Linux users) and in particular Linux VPS, would need to access their remote OS through an application. They are spoiled for choices. While there are varieties of such applications available, EduTechTainMent has done the research on your behalf and concluded on the best app to manage your VPS and RDP. Read through my post and you shall be convinced on the reason why I strongly recommend this application. It has made me fall in love with working on my Linux VPS. Ever since then, I have been hooked to it. Guess what guys! It is my primary application even for my Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) running Ubuntu 20.04 on my windows PC. Now let’s dive in and talk about the best app to manage your VPS and RDP.
For Linux noobs, you can download and install WSL on Windows. My recommended app below offers you the best User Experience (UX) and get your hands dirty learning Linux on your windows OS.
Best App to Manage your VPS and RDP
What is the name of this application I speak so highly about and strongly recommend?
The application is called MobaXterm.
According to MobaXterm:
Enhanced terminal for Windows with X11 server, tabbed SSH client, network tools and much more.
MobaXterm is your ultimate toolbox for remote computing.
MobaXterm provides all the important remote network tools (SSH, X11, RDP, VNC, FTP, MOSH, …) and Unix commands (bash, ls, cat, sed, grep, awk, rsync, …) to Windows desktop, in a single portable exe file which works out of the box.MobaXterm
The features of this application are so much, I can’t list them all. To mention a few:
- MobaXterm supports tabbed terminal. You can open multiple tabs and work on multiple terminal windows seamlessly.
- Sessions management: MobaXterm allows you to launch remote sessions such as SSH, Telnet, Rlogin, RDP, VNC, XDMCP, FTP, SFTP, Shell, or Serial sessions. Each and every session you start is automatically saved and displayed in the left sidebar for easy navigation.
- Graphical SFTP browser: When you log to a remote server using SSH, a graphical SFTP browser is displayed in the left sidebar. This allows you to easily upload or download between your local PC and remote machine; drag and drop files directly from/to the remote server using a secure SFTP connection. You can choose to make the SFTP browser automatically navigate to your current working directory as you use the shell and navigate through your remote machine.
- X11 server feature support: When you run a SSH, TELNET, or RLOGIN/RSH session you will be able to display your remote applications directly on your local Windows PC.
- Multi-execution: Write once, execute everywhere: MobaXterm allows you to execute the same commands on many different servers at the same time.
- Embedded servers feature allows you to start network daemons for remote access.
- Embedded tools: bundled with MobaXterm brings some useful tools for developers, webmasters, sysadmins, and all users who need to work efficiently with their computers.
- Support for Remote Unix desktop (XDMCP) and Remote Windows Desktop (RDP) allows you to work on your remote machines as if you were working on your local PC.
- Support for SSH gateway (jump-host) which allows you to connect first to an SSH server before connecting to the end-server you want to reach in the end. This allows you to reach some servers behind a firewall and to secure your connection.
- Support for SSH tunnels (port forwarding).
- Custom-built MobApt package manager: MobaXterm package manager (MobApt / apt-get) allows you to download and use many more Unix tools directly into the MobaXterm terminal.
- In-built Text Editor: When you connect to a remote server using SSH, you will be able to edit remote files directly using the embedded text editor “MobaTextEditor” by just double-clicking on them. This still doesn’t prevent you from using VIM or nano or any other tool as your custom text editor.
- Macros support: MobaXterm allows you to record macros in the terminal and reuse in other terminals for automation of tasks on other servers.
- Intuitive password management feature for all sessions and support for master password to lock the MobaXterm terminal from snoopers.
- Syntax highlighting in the terminal even while working on remote servers. This is useful, especially when analyzing log files, editing code, or trying to detect important keywords. You can even build your own syntax definitions easily.
- Professional Customizer: MobaXterm Professional Edition gives you access to the “Customizer” software. You can use your own custom logo and settings on the software.
- Support of many 3rd party custom add-on and plugins to increase the features of MobaXterm and provide additional functionality and support.
- Portable and light application, does not require admin rights and which you can start from a USB stick.
Watch a demo of some of the features of MobaXterm through the link below:
MobaXterm has two versions available.
The Home Edition is free for download while the Professional Edition costs $69 / 49€ per user. See the image blow for a comparison of the features of both editions.
Download the Home Edition from the MobaXterm servers here.
Other Apps to Manage Your VPS and RDP
Termius is also a very feature-rich software to use. It has both Desktop and mobile applications. Termius allows the use of modern or SSH, macOS, Windows and Linux to organize, access, and connect to your servers.
An important feature of termius is the use of groups, command autocompletion, and synchronization of server credentials across all platforms using end-to-end encryption.
Termius lets you organize hosts into groups. Groups allow you to share settings, though each host can have its own separate preferences. This data, along with connection and command history, is securely synced across all your devices. Termius uses end-to-end encryption to ensure your data remains safe and secure.Termius
The good ‘ol PuTTy deserves a special mention. I am sure most of you guys are aware of PUTTy.
PuTTY is an SSH and telnet client, developed originally by Simon Tatham for the Windows platform. PuTTY is open source software that is available with source code and is developed and supported by a group of volunteers.PuTTy
Bitvise SSH Client is an SSH and SFTP client for Windows. It is developed and supported professionally by Bitvise.
The SSH Client is robust, easy to install, easy to use, and supports all features supported by PuTTY, as well as the following: graphical SFTP file transfer; single-click Remote Desktop tunneling; auto-reconnecting capability; dynamic port forwarding through an integrated proxy; an FTP-to-SFTP protocol bridge. Bitvise SSH Client is free to use.PuTTy
Bitvise SSH Server is an SSH, SFTP and SCP server for Windows.
It is robust, easy to install, easy to use, and works well with a variety of SSH clients, including Bitvise SSH Client, OpenSSH, and PuTTY. The SSH Server is developed and supported professionally by Bitvise.PuTTy
There you go guys! The choice is yours. Now you are better informed about the best app to manage your VPS and RDP. Try out these applications and decide which is best for you. I personally strongly recommend going for MobaXterm. It is an all-in-one application to need all your needs. PuTTy is also very important. You can use it alongside MobaXterm.
Visit EduTechTainMent for more of such informative posts and don’t forget to use the subscription box below to get notified of the latest posts. Drop a comment about your user experience after trying out the recommended software and also ask your questions. Share any other software you find invaluable and which you personally use to access your VPS/RDP with us using the comment box below. We are willing to walk you through the setting up and use of these software and any other guides posted here.