Hey guys. Today I will be explaining How to Check if Your Windows 10 is Activated With an OEM, Retail, or Volume License type. I realized many Windows users don’t realise the subtle differences between these versions of Windows 10 OS licenses. According to Microsoft, Windows 10 is the safest OS ever!
Basically, there are three types of Windows 10 licenses- Retail (AKA Full Package Product (FPP)), Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) and Volume License. Each license type differs in the rights and limitations it grants it end-users based on the Microsoft Software License Terms.
What are Microsoft Windows Retail, OEM, and Volume Licenses
The Microsoft Windows 10 license/product key is a combination sequence of 25 letters and numbers divided into 5 groups of 5 characters each (for example: 1YX4X-6Y2YY-XXYXX-8YXXY-X9XYX) that is used to activate the 32-bit or 64-bit Windows 10 edition that you have installed.
Retail Windows 10 License
You get this license type when you buy a Full Package Product (FPP), also referred to as a “Boxed Copy” of Windows from a Microsoft products retailer, Microsoft online store, or other 3rd party online stores. This license type has the advantage of flexibility of use. This means that such licenses/product keys aren’t specific to only one windows PC; you can use the same license/product key to activate Windows when you move the Windows OS from one PC to another.
OEM Windows 10 License
In this licensing type, licenses are issued by the Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM). OEM licenses are pre-installed by PC manufacturing companies on their products. When you buy PCs from popular manufacturing companies such as HP, Dell, Lenovo, Acer, Toshiba, Asus, Samsung, they usually come with genuine OEM licenses/product keys pre-installed. OEM Windows 10 licenses are not as flexible in usage as Retail keys; are not for resale and may not be transferred for use on another Windows PC.
Such licenses/product keys are usually encrypted and embedded in the BIOS/UEFI firmware chip by the OEM manufacturing companies. These licenses are activated online when the PC owner uses the internet. When you also reset or install Windows 10 again, the product key is automatically detected and activated from the BIOS/UEFI firmware chip.
Volume License For Windows 10
These are licensing types used by organizations, governments, educational institutions and large business corporations, who buy licenses in bulk and thus are given discounted prices relative to regular home users who buy one or two licenses.
The Windows Enterprise edition is licensed with a Volume license key. Windows 10 Enterprise does not require you to enter a product key during installation. Microsoft offers a free 90-day evaluation period before you must change, and activate the product key, to a volume license/product key. KMS Client and Volume MAK product keys are Volume licenses that are not for resale. A Volume License Key (VLK) refers to a product key used when installing software licenses in bulk. Such single licenses can be used for multiple installations.
How to Check if Your Windows 10 is Activated With an OEM, Retail or Volume License
You may be curious t find out How to Check if Your Windows 10 is Activated With an OEM, Retail and Volume License. You can easily accomplish this by typing a simple command into the command prompt.
- Open a command prompt. Press the Windows logo key and the R keys simultaneously (Win Logo key + R). Type cmd and press the Enter key.
- Before running the next command, ensure you don’t have any software program that blocks Windows Script Host dialog box from popping up. If you do have, ensure you disable it. One of the popular programs that disable this feature is Smadav Antivitrus. The commands you will be running is totally harmless and 100% safe.
- When your Windows command window opens, type the following code- slmgr/dli, and press Enter to execute it.
- For a more detailed licensing information, you may also use this code: slmgr/dlv.
- After few seconds, a Windows Script Host dialog will open and show you what type of Windows 10 license is installed on your PC.
That’s all guys. Now you know How to Check if Your Windows 10 is Activated With an OEM, Retail or Volume License type. Stay subscribed to EduTechTainMent to find out how to check your Windows Activation expiry date or if your Windows PC is Permanently Activated.
- How to Check if Your Microsoft Windows OS is Permanently Activated
- How to Check if Your Windows 10 is Activated With an OEM, Retail or Volume License
- EduTechTainMent All-In-One Guide to Entertainment | IPTV, PayTV, OTT | 2021
- Enroll in Coursera Courses for Free and Earn Certificates
- How to Get Access to ALL WintellectNow Premium Courses For FREE| Nov. 2020