Today, I will be discussing on how to use How Use Citationsy- A Worthwhile Alternative to Mendeley, Zotero or Endnote a very worthwhile alternative to the other popular Reference Managers such as Mendeley, Zotero or Endnote. While the aforementioned Reference Managers are quite good and feature-rich, this doesnâ€™t prevent us from exploring other alternatives that are equally good. Here at EduTechTainMent, we aim to provide you with all the available resources and tools you need to have a seamless, hitch-free and fun-filled research using technology. You would be spoiled for choice. Now letâ€™s dive in.
Today, I will be discussing on how to use a very worthwhile alternative to the other popular Reference Managers such as Mendeley, Zotero or Endnote. While the aforementioned Reference Managers are quite good and feature-rich, this doesnâ€™t prevent us from exploring other alternatives that are equally good. Here at EduTechTainMent, we aim to provide you with all the available resources and tools you need to have a seamless, hitch-free and fun-filled research using technology. You would be spoiled for choice. Now letâ€™s dive in.
Citationsy is a web-based Reference Management System. This means it works via a website. All your reference work will be done in real-time and synced as you proceed. It doesnâ€™t require a software installation on your PC. Some advantages of using Citationsy 1 include:
- It is web-based; your references are synced online in real-time as you work on your project.
- Most importantly, it provides a FREE account that is quite adequate, with a provision to upgrade the account for those who are willing.
- It offers a way out of manual generation of references and bibliography by automating the boring task.
- It boasts of over 75 000 users
- It can be used to cite a wide range of sources- websites, papers, books
- It can be used to cite and export references in almost 9000 citation styles
- Ability to create and organize your references into different projects and bibliographies
- Export bibliography in text format into any application
- Ability to support exporting into word, EndNote, RefWorks, BibteX or CSL
- Citationsy also has a built-in function called Citationsy Archives, that allows one to search for and directly download research papers/articles from Sci-hub for free. This means you donâ€™t have to visit the Sci-hub website or worry about downtimes in the Sci-hub mirror site you use.
- Supports collaborative research through sending of e-mails to co-researchers.
How to Use Citationsy
- Visit the Citationsy website and signup to open an account.
2. After opening an account, click on Add a New Project to begin. Give your project any name you decide. I chose to use EduTechTainMent as my project name
3. Visit Sciencedirect website or any other database of your choice to search for a research paper you are interested in. For this guide, I am going to be using Sciencedirect. I run my search and settle for an article on diabetes. 2 Notice that this article is restricted behind a paywall and requires a subscription to access it. Not to worry though.
- Copy the Digital Object Identifier (DOI), article URL, title, or ISBN as the case may be.
5. Click to open the earlier created EduTechTainMent project. Now click on either Website, book, Journal, Podcast, Music, Image or Manual, depending on what you want to cite. Donâ€™t forget to select the citation style you want to use. I chose APA citation style as my default CSL. I also chose Journal type as the article I want to cite. Now paste the copied DOI into the search dialog box that appears and click on Continue. This brings out the article on the next page. Click on the article to see and edit it as you so desire. After you are done, click on Continue. This will insert a Bibliography entry into your project folder- in this case EduTechTainMent.
6. This bibliography can then be copied and pasted into your MS Word document, after you must have finished working on your article draft. Likewise, you can click on the â€œiâ€ button beside the bibliographic entry to copy the reference as an in-text citation to be inserted into the MS Word document when you want to cite a source. You can also click on the Pencil icon beside the bibliographic entry to edit your bibliography.
7. To use the Citationsy in-built Sci-hub plug-in to search for and download research papers/articles behind a paywall for free, read my other post here .3
- Create citations, reference lists, and bibliographies Â· Citationsy. Accessed December 30, 2018.
- Ipadeola A, Adeleye JO, Akinlade KS. Latent autoimmune diabetes amongst adults with type 2 diabetes in a Nigerian tertiary hospital. Prim Care Diabetes. 2015;9(3):231-236. doi:10.1016/J.PCD.2014.09.003
- How to Use Citationsy In-Built Sci-hub Plugin- An Alternative to Sci-hub